Last week we were lucky enough to be invited to Holt Renfrew for an intimate media workshop with world renowned makeup stylist Jane Richardson on the new NARS’ new Adult Swim summer collection. If you don’t know who Jane is, here’s a quick profile: with NARS since 2000, she’s assisted in the development of products and creation of runway looks and trends for the likes of Marc Jacobs, Erdem and Phillip Lim 3.1. We watched Jane in action at the NARS counter as she created a beautiful and easy summer look.
Here’s some of top tips and tricks we learned from Jane. See below, and learn how to apply makeup like a pro.
1. Moisture, Moisture, Moisture! With this transition of harsh winter temperatures to warmer ones, our skin is drying out! It is so important to moisturize before you put your makeup on. Dry, flaky skin and foundation is never a good combo. Makeup will stick and blend better when the skin is hydrated.
2. Play with your makeup! Jane plays with makeup every night, testing out new shades and applications. Never wait until the morning before work to test it new makeup. Practice makes perfect!
3. Dont be shy! Those colours, like canary yellow or key-lime green that you really want to own, but think you’ll never wear, are most likely the colours that you will like best on. Eye shadows especially, tend to look very pigmented in their packaging, however, once swept onto the eyelid, they leave a beautiful, subtle pop of colour!
4. Always remember to powder under your eyes! This will prevent any fallout or residual eye makeup from sticking.
5. Makeup should be fun. Life is too short to be serious with your makeup. Makeup can be removed!
6. NARS’ Multiples are the jam! Use them as a base for eye shadow, or for highlighting the centre of the face. The multiples layer well, so layer up!
Nars Summer Collection, Adult Swim is available at most NARS retailers.