Since the release of Adele’s new single, “Hello” (if you haven’t already watched the video, we can’t talk), we have been obsessing over what we like to call “The Adele” makeup look. She’s well known for always rocking a stunningly perfect cat eye, that make’s her look so effortlessly glamorous. It’s a look that definitely takes some practice (eyeliner is no easy feat) but with a little determination, and her album playing in the background, you can achieve this super-star look.
Follow our seven steps below to get the look.
1. It’s important when you’re working with liquid liner to prime your eye. An eye primer of your choice, will prep the lid for shadow and ensure that your makeup will not crease or smudge for the day or night. Apply a base shadow in a cream colour (shimmer or matte both work) to the entire eyelid. Taking a matte light brown eye shadow and blending brush (fluffy) apply a small amount of shadow to your crease, starting from the outer corner of your eye to the centre. Blend!
2. If you’re not familiar with using a liquid liner, then start with an angled brush and black eye shadow. Begin your liner starting with the flick of the cat eye first. Once your flick is complete continue towards the centre of the eye, sticking as close to the lash line as possible. Keep in mind, as you get to the inner corner of your eye the line should taper and be at least half the size as the outer corner. This is the step that takes practice, so don’t get discouraged if it takes you a few tries.
3. Taking an angled brush apply a small amount of black on the lower lash line. Finish your eye with two coats of a volumizing, black mascara.
4. Adele always has a flawless skin base. In order to mimic her skin, apply a moisturizing primer with a buffing brush all over your skin (avoiding your eye area). Once the primer has dried, apply an HD foundation (Makeup Forever Ultra HD would be ideal), closest to your natural skin tone using the same buffing brush.
5. Once your foundation is applied, take a concealer 1-2 shades lighter than your natural skin tone and apply under the eyes in a triangle shape, and on any blemishes. Blend your concealer using a damp beauty blender. Now that you’re flawless, apply a translucent powder on your face to set your makeup (avoid the eye area).
6. Taking a contour powder (obviously one that suits your skin tone) apply at hairline, through to the contour of the cheeks and along the jaw line. When you’re contouring, there should be no lines, so ensure that you really blend here. Once you have contoured, you’re going to want to highlight the tops or your cheekbones, top of the nose and your cupid’s bow. (#Instamarc Contour Powder is a great duo to sculpt and highlight with). Apply a soft pink blush to the apples of the cheeks, sweeping upwards along your cheekbones.
7. Line your lips using a nude liner. (Small strokes with the lip liner makes lining them way easier!) Fill in your lips with a pinky-nude lipstick, and blot together on a Kleenex. Apply a clear or nude gloss on top and you are ready to hit the town, Adele.